WINDPOWER Community Service Project
Build and Plant Edible Earthbox Container Gardens with the Chicago Botanic Garden’s Windy City Harvest program and Slow Food for local community.
Project will run on Wednesday May 9th from 1:00 pm-4:30 pm with a reception, hosted by Blattner Energy, starting at 4:30 pm on the expo hall floor.
Up to 20 participants can sign up for a one hour workshop with Windy City Harvest staff at the following time slots 1:00-2:00pm, 2:15-3:15pm & 3:30-4:30pm.
Click here to register for a volunteer slot.
Each group of participants will receive a 20 minute workshop on Edible Container Gardening & participate in a 40 minute hands on activity building edible container gardens for a local public school (Chinatown) and church (Bronzeville).
The 20 Minute Windy City Harvest Edible Container Gardening Workshop will cover:
- Why grow your own crops?
- Container choices and location for edibles, crops that succeed, direct seeding and transplanting by crop, sun and watering requirements, maintenance & harvesting tips.
40 Minute Hands-on Service Project:
- Each team (5-6 people 3 teams) will assemble 4 wheeled Earthbox containers.
- Each team will then fill with compost and organic fertilizer.
- Each team will then select transplants and seeds and plant containers with Windy City Harvest staff.
How Can You Help?
- Donate $10 during registration to help offset the costs of the containers.
- Stop by the Community Service Project area on the show floor starting at 1:00 pm on Wednesday, May 9 to help assemble the containers while networking with other attendees. If you can't commit to the full hour, stop by and see how you can help for a few minutes.
- Sign up to tour the rooftop garden at McCormick Place on Thursday, May 10th.